Liposuction is becoming the most commonly performed plastic surgery procedure amongst both men and women. Liposuction is not a weight loss solution, and is not an effective treatment for morbidly obese patients. It is however, very safe and effective for removing localized fat collections in stubborn areas such as the flanks, hips, saddle bags or outer thighs, abdomen, knees, and neck.
Many of us have a genetic predisposition to deposit fat in certain areas, and these stubborn areas may be difficult to improve with exercise and diet. For otherwise healthy patients with localized fat collections, liposuction is a safe and effective way of contouring the body for dramatic improvements in both your appearance, and in your confidence.
Dr. Siporin uses both traditional liposuction, which mainly removes fat, and the newer laser liposuction technique, which not only removes fat, but which also has the added benefit of tightening the skin.
Dr. Siporin performs traditional liposuction (liposculpture) on both men and women.
- Tumescent fluid is used to reduce bleeding and swelling, and to provide anesthesia.
- Surgery is performed at an outpatient surgery center either with or without anesthesia, depending on your preoperative discussions with Dr. Siporin
- Fat cells are removed with small tubes that are attached to a high-pressure vacuum system and inserted through small incisions in the skin.
- There is minimal scarring, and only moderate discomfort
- A compression garment is applied after surgery, and must be worn continuously for one week
- All patients have swelling, the amount is variable from patient to patient
- Some bruising may be present
- Swelling may last for as long as two to three months
- You will be given a compression garment, and you should wear it for three to four weeks
- Most patients can return to work within one week
- Since there are no large incisions, recovery and resumption of normal activities is fairly rapid
- Scars are concealed and should be inconspicuous
- As with all surgeries, risks and complications exist, but the incidence is low. They will be discussed with you by Dr. Siporin at the time of your initial evaluation.
Laser Liposuction or Smart Lipo is a newer, innovative technique that combines traditional liposuction with laser technology. It not only removes or melts away fat cells, but also thermally tightens the skin.
One limitation of traditional liposuction has been the side effect of leaving loose skin behind after removing fat cells. The Smart Lipo, although not completely eliminating this risk, has greatly increased our ability to remove fat and shrink skin at the same time.
In addition, the laser technology leads to greater fat removal, less bruising, and quicker recovery times.
How Does Smart Lipo Work?
The laser liposuction achieves results by placing a tiny cannula under the skin, through very small incisions, to deliver Nd:YAG laser energy to localized fat deposits in both the body and the face. The laser ruptures fat cells that are either absorbed by the body, or removed by traditional liposuction. The laser also coagulates blood vessels, resulting in minimal blood loss, and stimulates collagen molecules on the undersurface of the skin, to promote skin tightening.
- Treatments can be done under local anesthesia alone, or with some form of sedation.
- Localized fat collections can be removed to sculpt body areas with minimal downtime.
- Patients return to normal activities, without restrictions quickly.
- Smart Lipo is the current state of the art in liposculpture (sculpting of body fat).
- Surgery is performed in the office outpatient surgery center.
- Compression garments are worn for a short period of time when compared to traditional liposuction.
- Body areas which can be treated include: abdomen, love handles, inner and outer thighs, neck, chin, knees, back, chest, and arms
Potential Complications of Smart Lipo
The treatment is safe, but as in any surgery, there is a risk of infection, scarring, and the need for revision surgery. The most common complication of liposuction is related to removing too much fat, which can lead to surface depressions and irregularities. However, with careful and meticulous surgery, this risk is very low.
When either traditional or laser liposuction is combined with multiple procedures, the risks rise considerably. Dr. Siporin will take care to assure your safety, and to discuss all potential risks and complications.
Recovery Following Smart Lipo Surgery
- Downtime is minimal
- Final results may not be seen for up to a few months
- Most patients may return to work after a weekend off
- You will be seen by Dr. Siporin the day after surgery and one week post operatively